From David Jericho <David.Jeri...@aarnet.edu.au>
Subject ICP configuration, with parents and siblings
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 05:17:10 GMT
Hi all,

I'm presently deploying 4.2.0 in a parent/child setup, with two parents acting as reverse
proxies, and the children obviously querying through those parents.

This is all working fine, I am after some clarity on the ICP configuration though.

Ideally, I want the two parents to talk to each other, and use ICP before hitting the origin
servers. This is working fine. What's the suggested setup for a child cache? Don't enable
ICP back to the parents?

If I enable ICP on the children, including the parents, I'm seeing parents in ICP query children
for data, which from a network distance perspective, is slower than fetching from the origin
servers. The children servers are also geographically distributed, and in some cases, talking
to remote child proxies is slower than just returning to the origin via the parents.

I notice in the source as well that there's an ICP ctype of 3. What's this option used for,
as it's also mentioned in some of the documentation but not explained?

David Jericho
Senior Systems Administrator
AARNet Pty Ltd

t. +61 (0) 7 3317 9576 m. +61 423 027 185 e. David.Jericho@aarnet.edu.au w. www.aarnet.edu.au

street address: Ground Floor, 143 Coronation Drive, Milton, QLD, 4064, Australia

important
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and the rights of confidentiality
in such information are not waived or lost by its mistaken delivery to you.  Any dissemination,
copying, use or disclosure of the email and/or such files without the permission of AARNet,
or the sender, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please contact
the sender immediately and delete all copies of this transmission.