From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Odd 302 behavior
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 01:27:17 GMT

On Apr 24, 2014, at 8:16 PM, Nick Kew <niq@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-04-24 at 18:16 -0400, Frank Smith wrote:
>> So, changing that pristine_host_hdr variable worked.  Can someone
>> explain why?
>
> Check the docs for pristine_host.
>
> It causes the Host: header to be sent as-is to the backend.
> That's not how a reverse proxy (normally) works.
> Your backend appears to be responding with 302 to being
> addressed by the proxy's hostname.

We see this issue over and over again, and there’s a lot of confusion. Against my better
judgement, I agreed that we should change the default for the pristine host header config
from “0” to “1”.

Should we perhaps bite the bullet once again for v5.0.0, and turn this off? It’s the way
it used to be in Yahoo TS and Apache TS for a long time, and it’s *probably* the common
way for most reverse proxies.

Thoughts?

— Leif