From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ram Cache Question
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2014 14:45:13 GMT

On Jun 9, 2014, at 8:15 AM, Jason Strongman <jasonstrongman2016@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to force certain objects into memory cache, and only serve those objects
from memory cache until time of expiration? I do not want those objects even dumped to disk.
Meaning keep objects in ram cache and let ram cache eviction policy manage the object's removal.

> Currently I have tmpfs file system where I store all my 'ram only' objects. However,
if I can simply direct objects to memory cache based on something like a cache-control header
or something similar, than that would be more desirable. As opposed to creating a disk cache
from tmpfs, then placing all objects from a certain virtual host into that disk cache(via
hosting.config).

For now, the only options available it he “RAM disk”. Alan has promised some good changes
in this space, where tiered caching is generalized. I’m *hoping* this will include allowing
for RAM cache only, or at least a configuration option where certain disk backends are not
backed with the ATS RAM cache. The problem (IMO) with the current setup (provided by Comcast)
is that you can not turn off the ATS RAM cache per disk volume. Which means, if you have RAM
cache enabled, RAM disk volumes will still consume ATS RAM cache as well.

— Leif