From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Best practices for hit ratio improve
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2014 19:25:19 GMT

On Jul 7, 2014, at 12:59 PM, Luís Antonio Pereira <luis.a.pereira@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I would like to improve the performance of my webcache, for example
> for example implementing the pining/cache.config:
>
> On records.config:
> CONFIG proxy.config.cache.permit.pinning INT 1

Before you go there, I’d seriously investigate your cache and content. Some thoughts

1. Is your cache not large enough? How large is your active data content? Disks are fairly
cheap, pinning is not (looking at your rules, I think you’ll kill your performance completely).

2. Do you have adequate RAM ?

3. What evidence is there to make you think pinning actually makes things better? Maybe what
you are really looking for is to allocate some amount of the disks for Facebook content only
? This can be done with volume.config / hosting.config.

4. Are you sure you are not mixing up the notion of Cache-Control: max-age with pinning?

In almost all cases I’ve seen ATS use, the cache does a great job on its own. Messing with
things like cache pinning ought to be a last resort IMO, for some very specific use cases.
I don’t think this is one of those.

Cheers,

— Leif