From "Adam W. Dace" <colonelforbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best practices for hit ratio improve
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2014 20:18:26 GMT
I've actually been experimenting with this a bit myself.

Over time I've been frustrated by the fact that Traffic Server doesn't seem
to want to use its RAM cache much, on a system with very little load.

Here's my current cache.config:
url_regex=\.(js|gif|jpg|jpeg|png|svg|css|ico|bmp|swf|flv|html|pdf)$
scheme=http ttl-in-cache=60d
url_regex=.* scheme=http revalidate=1d

Does this really help?  I'm not really the one to ask, though it does seem
to make things a bit faster...and my RAM usage is up.

I've also been documenting how I tune Traffic Server on a personal basis,
feel free to check it out at WebProxyCacheTuning
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/WebProxyCacheTuning>.
At this point I'm pretty sure I'm done tweaking Traffic Server v5.0.

Regards,

Adam

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2014, at 12:59 PM, Luís Antonio Pereira <
> luis.a.pereira@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I would like to improve the performance of my webcache, for example
> > for example implementing the pining/cache.config:
> >
> > On records.config:
> > CONFIG proxy.config.cache.permit.pinning INT 1
>

> Before you go there, I’d seriously investigate your cache and content.
> Some thoughts
>
> 1. Is your cache not large enough? How large is your active data content?
> Disks are fairly cheap, pinning is not (looking at your rules, I think
> you’ll kill your performance completely).
>
> 2. Do you have adequate RAM ?
>
> 3. What evidence is there to make you think pinning actually makes things
> better? Maybe what you are really looking for is to allocate some amount of
> the disks for Facebook content only ? This can be done with volume.config /
> hosting.config.
>
> 4. Are you sure you are not mixing up the notion of Cache-Control: max-age
> with pinning?
>

> In almost all cases I’ve seen ATS use, the cache does a great job on its
> own. Messing with things like cache pinning ought to be a last resort IMO,
> for some very specific use cases. I don’t think this is one of those.
>
> Cheers,
>
> — Leif

Adam W. Dace <colonelforbin74@gmail.com>

Phone: (815) 355-5848