From "Alan M. Carroll" <...@network-geographics.com>
Subject Re: IN-OUT traffic inconsistencies
Date Sat, 23 Aug 2014 18:22:02 GMT
Emiliano,

We have had anecdotal reports of this but it has not been confirmed so there is not a lot
of information. But it would be helpful to understand your network architecture a little better,
in particular the relationship between ATS, eth0, the clients, and the origin servers. Most
ATS deployments have 2 ethernet interfaces, one for clients and one for origin servers. Do
you have only one? Or if you have two, which side is this interface on?

One thing to consider is that ATS by default doesn't meter its input side, that fetching from
an origin server. that is, ATS will read data from an origin server as fast as it can, regardless
of the client. If you have clients fetching large files, ATS can easily have more traffic
from the origin servers than to the clients as it fills its internal buffers. This could,
in theory, also cause a difference over the long term because if a client aborts a connection
then you could see traffic for the full object on the input side but not on the output side.

Friday, August 22, 2014, 10:10:02 AM, you wrote:

> The inconsistency that we see is that from time to time we can see       that traffic
IN is bigger that traffic OUT, wich is a bit odd       since we double checked that there
is no ATS external process       consuming traffic, and disabled backgroud fetch plugin. Did
anyone       saw this behaviour before? from my perspective it is not normal.       Is there
any other method to measure the traffic without this       inconsistency?