From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: generating hash from packet content
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2014 17:41:53 GMT

On Aug 28, 2014, at 11:35 AM, Bill Zeng <billzeng2009@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to throw another idea your way. We can insert another level of indirection between
URL's and objects. Every object has a unique hash. URL's point to the hashes instead of objects.
The hashes are used to look up objects. Even if multiple URL's are duplicated and hence their
hashes, they always point to the same object. It seems a non-easy project though. It requires
major changes to ATS.

I’m not sure I understand this, or how it helps this problem? However, isn’t this sort
of how the cache already works? There’s a hash from URL to the “header” entry, which
then has its own hash to the actual object. Alan?

— leif