From Bill Zeng <billzeng2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: generating hash from packet content
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2014 18:19:15 GMT
On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2014, at 11:35 AM, Bill Zeng <billzeng2009@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just to throw another idea your way. We can insert another level of
> indirection between URL's and objects. Every object has a unique hash.
> URL's point to the hashes instead of objects. The hashes are used to look
> up objects. Even if multiple URL's are duplicated and hence their hashes,
> they always point to the same object. It seems a non-easy project though.
> It requires major changes to ATS.
>

> I’m not sure I understand this, or how it helps this problem? However,
> isn’t this sort of how the cache already works? There’s a hash from URL to
> the “header” entry, which then has its own hash to the actual object. Alan?

Maybe I did not understand it correctly. Currently, ATS calculates a hash
from a URL and uses the hash to look up the actual object. That is "URL -->
actual object". My idea is to "URL --> hash of an object --> actual
object". We calculate the hash of a URL and use that to look up the hash of
an actual object and then use the hash of the actual object to look up the
actual object.