From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: traffic server usage / stats (clarification)
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2014 20:51:34 GMT

On Sep 30, 2014, at 12:21 PM, Kevin Kruzich <kkruzich@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm resending with clarifications: Trying to calculate bandwidth usage from ATS (GET
requests to internet clients). The counters proxy.process.net.read_bytes and proxy.process.net.write_bytes
appear to be the correct choice

I believe that these metrics count all bytes sent and received over the network. You might
want to measure

	proxy.node.http.user_agent_total_request_bytes
	proxy.node.http.user_agent_total_response_bytes
	proxy.node.http.origin_server_total_request_bytes
	proxy.node.http.origin_server_total_response_bytes

> but 1) what is difference between net.read, net.write

"read" is bytes read (received) from the network, "write" is bytes written (sent) to the network

> and 2) Assuming this count is since start of proc, how might I slice up the data to increments
such as day/week/month?

Typically, people sample the metrics into a monitoring system, like Graphite or Circonus.
Those kinds of systems will aggregate and rate convert metrics to give you throughput and
utilization numbers.

> Thank you,
> --kkruzich

specifically GET requests to internet clients. There are many stats available on the /stats
page (same or similar results are offered via 'traffic_line -r'), yet of all of these, the
one which seems the closest I'm looking for is proxy.process.net.read_bytes and .net.write_bytes.
But two questions about this: