From yu zou <z...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: regex_revalidate plugin and url defined in rule file
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2014 01:16:35 GMT
HI Jason,
regex_revalidate plugin matches the origin url and revalidates it.
The scenario of it is used to revalidate the origin’s url which is stale in cache but is
changed in origin server.
So, in the rule file, please use the original’s url instead of user’s url.

Thanks & Best wishes,
Yu, Zou

From: Jason Strongman <jasonstrongman2016@gmail.com<mailto:jasonstrongman2016@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 at 7:49 AM
To: "users@trafficserver.apache.org<mailto:users@trafficserver.apache.org>" <users@trafficserver.apache.org<mailto:users@trafficserver.apache.org>>
Subject: regex_revalidate plugin and url defined in rule file

proxy mode - reverse proxy

related config option applied in my environment:

      records.config

         CONFIG proxy.config.url_remap.pristine_host_hdr INT 1

      remap.config

         map http://user.domain.com/ http://192.168.1.230/

when defining the re-validate urls, it appears the plugin regexp only matches on the origin
url

      revalidate.config

     # rule 1
     # doesnt match original url - http://user.domain.com/mymedia/title1/movie.mp4

      user.domain.com/mymedia/title1/.*<http://user.domain.com/mymedia/title1/.*> 1412033900

     # rule 2
     # matches original url - http://user.domain.com/mymedia/title1/movie.mp4

     192.168.1.230/mymedia/title1/.*<http://192.168.1.230/mymedia/title1/.*> 1412033900

So with rule 1 in place, requests for the original URL will not trigger a re-validate.
With rule 2 in place, the original URL is re-validated against the origin.

I am thinking the origin URL is used due to how and what meta-data is stored with object.

Or I could be way off base, and just misunderstand my observations.

Please advise.