From yu zou <z...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: regex_revalidate plugin and url defined in rule file
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2014 13:26:33 GMT
Hi Jason,
For question 1, currently, since regex_revalidate plugin checks the origin url, you must distinct
the origin url after remap.
For question 2,  for the first time the original url matches the rule in regex_revalidate
plugin, it will revalidate the cache, after that, if the rule which is related to origin url
is not changed, the plugin will not revalidate the cache, just return.

Thanks & Best wishes,
Yu, Zou

From: Jason Strongman <jasonstrongman2016@gmail.com<mailto:jasonstrongman2016@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 at 9:10 PM
To: "users@trafficserver.apache.org<mailto:users@trafficserver.apache.org>" <users@trafficserver.apache.org<mailto:users@trafficserver.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: regex_revalidate plugin and url defined in rule file

since the plugin(in its current state) cant be called  from a specific remap rule, how do
you approach revalidation against a specific domain? especially when that specific domain
shares the same origin address as another domain?

records.config

         CONFIG proxy.config.url_remap.pristine_host_hdr INT 1

remap.config

map http://www.domain1.com/ http://192.168.1.230/
map http://www.domain2.com/ http://192.168.1.230/

revalidate.config

           192.168.1.230/mymedia/title1/.*<http://192.168.1.230/mymedia/title1/.*> <rule-expire-time-in-seconds-since-epoch>

With the above revalidate rule in place, requests for the below two URLs will trigger a revalidation.

http://www.domain1.com/mymedia/title1/movie.mp4<http://user.domain.com/mymedia/title1/movie.mp4>
http://www.domain2.com/mymedia/title1/movie.mp4<http://user.domain.com/mymedia/title1/movie.mp4>

However, my intention is to only have www.domain1.com<http://www.domain1.com> evaluated.

My guess is that I would have to define my origins with a specific hostname instead. So the
modified remap.config would look like,

map http://www.domain1.com/ http://origin.domain1.com/
map http://www.domain2.com/ http://origin.domain2.com/

Another question..

Since the revalidation plugin matches on the origin URL, and the only place the origin URL
is stored is within the object meta-data.. does that mean that the plugin must inspect, and
perform a cache lookup, for every single request?

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 9:30 PM, Jason Strongman <jasonstrongman2016@gmail.com<mailto:jasonstrongman2016@gmail.com>>