From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ATS not caching anything?
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:39:49 GMT

> On Oct 20, 2014, at 5:25 PM, J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:
>> You probably need to set proxy.config.http.cache.required_headers ...
>
> Got it in one!  Thanks!
>
> It would be swell if that were mentioned from
> https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin/http-proxy-caching.en.html
> as the default behaviors described there are very different:
>
> "By default, Traffic Server caches all objects (including objects with
> no headers); you should change the default setting only for
> specialized proxy situations. “

Thanks, yeah that should be changed. If you are up for it, you should make the changes and
send us a pull request via Github :-).

>> Pretty sure you can't disable the disk cache. Objects only get pulled into RAM after
coming through the disk cache

> Hmm, what can we do to avoid the disk turning into a bottleneck?
> Should we configure a memory filesystem?

Yes, that’s typically what people would do, setup a disk cache on e.g. /dev/shm. If you
do, you probably (but always) want to turn off the RAM cache in ATS. You can also use some
of the tricks Comcast did with the hosting.config, to put some content unto the RAM disks,
and other content unto e.g. a rotational disk.

— Leif