From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ATS not caching anything?
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:07:36 GMT
On Oct 20, 2014, at 5:01 PM, J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> After taking some first steps into ATS as a potential replacement for
> an aging squid reverse proxy infrastructure, things appear to be going
> mostly pretty well.  The first test server is at least up and running,
> and with a one-line remap.config, is able to properly handle requests.
>
> However, it does not appear to be caching anything.  The Age: header
> is always 0, and the Via: header (with appropriate verbosity) reports
> [cMsSf ].  With debugging logs turned on, confirmation appears in the
> traffic.out log:
>
> [Oct 20 23:25:43.146] Server {0x803808c00} DEBUG: (http) [88]
> perform_cache_write_action CACHE_DO_NO_ACTION
>

> The origin server is serving an ancient static text file:
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>
> Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 23:56:14 GMT
>
> Server: Apache/2.2
>
> Last-Modified: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 08:09:00 GMT
>
> ETag: "b543-7e-4239aa1015f00"
>
> Accept-Ranges: bytes

> Connection: close

> That should be the very soul of cachability, but for some reason it
> isn't.  Why not?

You probably need to set proxy.config.http.cache.required_headers ...

https://trafficserver.readthedocs.org/en/latest/reference/configuration/records.config.en.html#proxy-config-http-cache-required-headers

> The cache is configured with 32GiB of RAM and 32GiB of disk (but
> ideally I would like to disable the disk cache entirely, ala squid's
> "cache_dir null /null" setting, and cache entirely from RAM).  The
> cache appears to be working, as diags.log reports:
>
> [Oct 20 23:12:04.608] Server {0x803809400} NOTE: cache enabled

Pretty sure you can't disable the disk cache. Objects only get pulled into RAM after coming
through the disk cache