From Jason Giedymin <jason.giedy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ATS 5.1.1 And ESXI Ubuntu Guest
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2014 22:48:21 GMT
I would record the kernel, and lspci, dmesg the hw/driver versions. You could be using different
driver versions between the kernels.
After that I’d look at the sysctl diffs between the two systems.
Make sure the esxi resource entitlements and priorities are the same for each guest (which
I’m sure you’ve already done, doesn’t hurt to double check).

Wondering if your using my drivers for ESXi (though I’m sure they’d be out of date by
now, and depends on what your networking hardware is).

-J

> On Nov 20, 2014, at 5:33 PM, Jason Strongman <jasonstrongman2016@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hypervisor Version - ESXi 5.5
> Guest OS - Ubuntu 12.04.5 and 14.04.1 (64bit generic kernel)
>

> While testing ATS in our Ubuntu guest VMs we noticed a significant performance difference(for
the worse) between another RHEL 6.5 VM. Both VMs run in the same hypervisor and both VMs have
the same 'hardware' specs. Both VMs also received the same identical 5gbps Spirent performance
tests. Each test ensured that the tested objects are served from RAM cache. So it looks like(just
guessing) the RHEL kernel may be optimized for virtual environments in terms of memory management??
> I do notice the library and compiler versions differ between the ATS instances, the compile
time options are the same. So I am not sure if that may be prove to be an issue as well.

> That said, are there any OS tuneables that I should review  within my Ubuntu builds?

> Next I am going to try the various Ubuntu kernels and see if that results in the same
RHEL performance.