From Sudheer Vinukonda <sudhe...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: about event hooks for https messages
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2015 03:34:27 GMT
Hmm, I've run a simple test with keep alive connection (both http and https) and it seems that
READ_REQUEST_HDR hook does get called for every transaction as expected.

As far as TXN_CLOSE is concerned, I recall hearing that there's a bug which makes it get called
after SSN_CLOSE, but, I would think the SEND_RESPONSE_HDR hook should work correctly too.
Could you check the debug traces to see what might be the problem and open a jira if necessary?

Thanks,
Sudheer
      From: 毅程 <phillipchengyi@gmail.com>
 To: users@trafficserver.apache.org
 Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 5:06 PM
 Subject: Re: about event hooks for https messages

Thanks James.You are right, the state diagram for http and https seems to be the same.this
problem is more obvious in https scenario is because for https the connections are usually
not closed (kept alive), in ATS hook words, the TS_EVENT_HTTP_TXN_CLOSE hook is seldom invoked.
(for http it is almost always invoked per request)and in https senario even the TS_EVENT_HTTP_READ_REQUEST_HDR
is not invoked for every request.
let's say I open https://www.yahoo.com 3 times. the data flowed to client is 300K (assuming
100K per response.), but in https cases, the TS_EVENT_HTTP_READ_REQUEST_HDR is only invoked
once, and the TS_EVENT_HTTP_TXN_CLOSE is also once. but the TSHttpTxnClientRespBodyBytesGet
is reported 300K.I want to be able to get 3 100K reporting even for https scenario. (which
hook will report me 3 100K)
Cheng Yi

> On Mar 3, 2015, at 4:09 PM, 毅程 <phillipchengyi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Sudheer.
> I need a more inline/realtime way instead of passive log way.
> The problem i am facing now is
> for http there is no problem
> for https i can't find the right hook to get the request and response size even though
the client already get the response. (since there is keep alive http connections for https),
I can only get the size when the transaction is closed which will be very late.

Transaction hooks are no different between http and https. Maybe there's a problem in how
you are selecting transactions to attach the hooks? Or if this is a remap plugin, are you
applying the plugin to the right remap rules?

> Cheng Yi

> Typically, this information is available from the custom logging fields:
>
> https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/admin/event-logging-formats.en.html
>
> cqbl
> The client request transfer length; the body length in the client request to Traffic
Server (in bytes).
> cqhl
> The client request header length; the header length in the client request to Traffic
Server.