From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building with LuaJit 2.1
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2015 17:52:52 GMT
Ah. Yeah I'd be +1 on a configure option to use the system or locally provided library. Patches
welcome :)

-- Leif

> On Aug 18, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Mark Moseley <moseleymark@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hmm, when was LuaJit 2.1 released? I can't see it on the download page. In general,
we try to stay up to date with the releases.

>> As for bundling, that was an intentional choice since many (most?) of the distorts
and versions we support don't have (had?) LuaJit available. We can revisit that if / when
it's a generally supported package on all platforms.

>> The other reason for inclusion was that we planned on have Lua be a first class citizen
for configs etc

>> Cheers,
>>
>> -- Leif

2.1. I've been goofing with trying to get Trafficserver working with luajit 2.1 too, but reached
the point where I figured I should ask before I burn any more time:

it's got luajit 2.0.3 bundled right with the source. There's no configure option to point
at a different luajit tree. I was about to start messing with the various LUA_* environment
vars, when I realized it was time to ask the list.

LuaJIT was bundled into the main source tree.

>>> Ok, good to know. I tried building ATS with the luajit 2.1 sources copied into
the lib/luajit directory, but that blows up during compilation. Probably better to just get
the other app working with luajit 2.0.

>>> Out of curiosity, why is luajit bundled anyway? Installing the 'dev' luajit packages
for ubuntu/debian/centos seems pretty easy, though perhaps for people not on those distro,
might be a lot harder.

> Luajit 2.1 hasn't been released yet, though they claim it's pretty much production ready.
>
> Though I wasn't suggesting that ATS be bundled by default with 2.1. I was just curious
if it was possible to use an alternate one if you wanted to. Or to have it use the system
luajit, instead of using the bundled one.