From "Madhava Gaikwad (madgaikw)" <madga...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: partial object caching
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 15:23:13 GMT
Thanks Sudhir for the response. If too many clients starts doing range requests or even a single
client starts sending multiple range requests, using background fetch, may cause multiple
downloads to start, reason being downloads will not be sharable. Keeping rest of the client
connection  idle till, first download completes also not useful as it may cause FD exhaustion
for smaller footprint devices. I may be talking too much without knowing much about implementation
details.

Thank you.
Madhava

From: Sudheer Vinukonda [mailto:sudheerv@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2015 8:36 PM
To: users@trafficserver.apache.org
Subject: Re: partial object caching

As of v6.0, ATS does not support Partial object caching (ala byte range caching).

However, ATS does support returning partial byte range responses if the whole object is already
cached. Background Fetch<https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/latest/reference/plugins/background_fetch.en.html>
plugin takes advantage of this fact, by initiating a full object download in the background
on receiving a byte range request for an object that's not in the cache yet. Once the full
object is downloaded and populated into the cache, subsequent byte range requests are directly
served from the cache.

Thanks,

Sudheer

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 12:34 AM, Madhava Gaikwad (madgaikw) <madgaikw@cisco.com<mailto:madgaikw@cisco.com>>