From Mark Moseley <moseleym...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building with LuaJit 2.1
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2015 17:47:55 GMT
On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> Hmm, when was LuaJit 2.1 released? I can't see it on the download page. In
> general, we try to stay up to date with the releases.
>
> As for bundling, that was an intentional choice since many (most?) of the
> distorts and versions we support don't have (had?) LuaJit available. We can
> revisit that if / when it's a generally supported package on all platforms.
>
> The other reason for inclusion was that we planned on have Lua be a first
> class citizen for configs etc
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Leif
>

> On Aug 11, 2015, at 10:59 AM, Mark Moseley <moseleymark@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 7:35 PM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> > On Aug 10, 2015, at 4:53 PM, Mark Moseley <moseleymark@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I've got trafficserver on the same box as another app that's using
>> Luajit 2.1. I've been goofing with trying to get Trafficserver working with
>> luajit 2.1 too, but reached the point where I figured I should ask before I
>> burn any more time:
>> >
>> > Can Trafficserver be used with luajit 2.1? I was compiling 5.3.1 and
>> it's got luajit 2.0.3 bundled right with the source. There's no configure
>> option to point at a different luajit tree. I was about to start messing
>> with the various LUA_* environment vars, when I realized it was time to ask
>> the list.
>> >
>> > Any options?
>>
>> AFAIK the ability to choose a different Lua implementation was removed
>> when LuaJIT was bundled into the main source tree.
>>

> Ok, good to know. I tried building ATS with the luajit 2.1 sources copied
> into the lib/luajit directory, but that blows up during compilation.
> Probably better to just get the other app working with luajit 2.0.
>
> Out of curiosity, why is luajit bundled anyway? Installing the 'dev'
> luajit packages for ubuntu/debian/centos seems pretty easy, though perhaps
> for people not on those distro, might be a lot harder.

Luajit 2.1 hasn't been released yet, though they claim it's pretty much
production ready.

Though I wasn't suggesting that ATS be bundled by default with 2.1. I was
just curious if it was possible to use an alternate one if you wanted to.
Or to have it use the system luajit, instead of using the bundled one.