From Thomas Jackson <jacksontj...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Remove "congestion control" feature
Date Tue, 10 May 2016 05:09:36 GMT
Sounds like insufficient context in my original mail. I talked about this
some on irc and today during the summit. Basically the congestion control
feature (best we can tell) is unused. From some initial testing some things
work, but quite a few things don't (and since no one uses it, most likely
there are more issues). That being said, the real goal (it seems) from
congestion control is a set of conditions where you no longer attempt to
talk to the origin. As of today you can set a variety of options (max
sessions, max retries, etc.) To achieve similar results. In addition, it is
quite clunky that congestion control requires yet another config file with
its own markup, instead of exposing transaction overrideable options that
could be set in conf_remap (for example).

TLDR; most of the congestion control functionality exists outside of
congestion control, and the consensus seems to be that since no one is
using it (and it seems to be at least partially broken) we should remove
congestion control and focus on cleaning up origin options (limits, queue,
etc.)