From "Lerner, Steve" <sler...@ebay.com>
Subject Re: upstart vs systemd: ATS best service practice
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2017 01:41:37 GMT
Thanks for that James- I will confirm validity on Ubuntu Server and reach out so we can add
the example to the docs

Steve Lerner

Director / Architect - Performance Engineering, eBay

(m) 212.495.9212

- sent from my mobile desk

________________________________
From: James Peach <jpeach@apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2017 7:56:24 PM
To: users@trafficserver.apache.org
Subject: Re: upstart vs systemd: ATS best service practice

> On Jan 29, 2017, at 2:09 PM, Lerner, Steve <slerner@ebay.com> wrote:
>
> Friends,
>
> Does anyone want to share their systemd and upstart configurations for ATS?
>
> I have been digging and haven’t found an official statement about ‘service-izing’
ATS…
> Do we have an official recommendation for enabling ATS as a service on Ubuntu?
>
> Once we get some common ground maybe we can add this to documentation- right now a search
for upstart and systemd produces no results.

upstart: https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/blob/master/rc/trafficserver.conf.in
systemd: https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/blob/master/rc/trafficserver.service.in

I haven’t used either of these myself, but it seems reasonable for them to be explicitly
installed and supported. Given that systemd is the direction of most Linux platforms these
days, it is worth being a good systemd citizen.