From Yossi Nachum <yossi.nac...@biscience.com>
Subject RE: compress traffic between haproxy and trafficserver
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:56:46 GMT
In my configuration ATS is the backend server and it used as a forward/regular proxy
So maybe I just need to enable the gzip plugin?

-----Original Message-----
From: Reindl Harald [mailto:h.reindl@thelounge.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:08 PM
To: users@trafficserver.apache.org
Subject: Re: compress traffic between haproxy and trafficserver

Am 10.01.2017 um 15:48 schrieb Yossi Nachum:
> I have apache traffic server around the world that are behind haproxy
> servers.
>
> Can I compress the traffic between haproxy and the trafficserver to
> save bandwidth?

makes not much sense

when correctly configured the backend server does compresison with mod_deflate and ATS stores
a compressed and a uncompressed copy depending on the Acept-Encoding from the client

there is no point in compress already compressed data again, it only makes the data bigger
because it adds overhead for the compression headers and latency will grow

keep in mind that in these days most clients support compression and so the overhead for the
few clients which don't is not relevant

better configure your backend server properly to make sure ATS stores a compressed and a uncompressed
copy to serve all clients correctly

the idea of the snippet below is that PHP scripts may generate different content based on
user-agent while static files are always the same, hence Header unset "Vary" for them and
finally hang it on the Accept-Encoding, for a .php file httpd would send "Vary: User-Agent,
Accept-Encoding" and for a .txt "Vary: Accept-Encoding"

# Properly handle requests behind proxies <IfModule mod_headers.c>
  <FilesMatch "\.(php)$">
   Header append "Vary" "User-Agent"
  </FilesMatch>
  <FilesMatch
"\.(gif|jpe?g|png|htm|html|xml|sgm|sgml|css|js|txt|htc|ico|flv|mp4|m4v|wmv|mov|mpg|ogv|webm|mp3|wav|ogg|oga|swf|doc|docx|xls|xlsx|ppt|pptx|pdf|eot|ttf|otf|woff)$">
   Header unset "Vary"
  </FilesMatch>
  <FilesMatch
"\.(htm|html|xml|sgm|sgml|css|js|txt|htc|wav|doc|docx|xls|xlsx|ppt|pptx|pdf|eot|ttf|otf|woff)$">
   Header set "Vary" "Accept-Encoding"
  </FilesMatch>
</IfModule>