From "Kees Spoelstra" <kspoels...@we-amp.com>
Subject RE: Openssl 1.1.0f Support
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:32:33 GMT
Ok,

Looking at the presentation it seems that the openssl async jobs approach was not tested,
but planned. Dave mentioned static code analysis and no performance tests.

Within openssl+QAT you get the performance from running the openssl calls in an async job
which becomes a sort of coroutine, which is then run in openssl’s threadpool. When offloading,
it yields control to the scheduler, freeing the CPU for other jobs. Ofcourse it is a bit harder
than this :)

Building the jobs could be easy, the whole song and dance around synchronization, thread alignment,
could be too cumbersome to bother with.

Next to that it seems that the async jobs are a bit slower when only using the CPU, so you
would end up with two separate flows to ensure the same performance for 99.99% of the users.

Anybody willing to donate an Intel QAT PCI card :) Our address is ….

Note: It seems that the intel QAT cards have an unexpected scaling problem with ECDHE-RSA,
which they (intel) were looking into, and with the >32 thread CPUs you will get a break
even situation. So for HTTP/2 the benefit would be much smaller than normal RSA if the machine
has enough cores. Ofcourse the Intel QAT card should still offload the CPU.

Kees