From Sudheer Vinukonda <sudheervinuko...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Openssl 1.1.0f Support
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2017 15:05:12 GMT
Just to add some more context related to this -

IIRC, the patch proposed below (to clear the error queue only when an error occurred) was
actually how this fix was implemented when it was first added (sometime during 5.3?) However,
I think it was still resulting in some unexplained handshake/connect failures (which turned
out to be not exactly connect failures, but were being marked so, due to stale error queue).
And that was when the fix was changed to clear the error queue *before* calling connect.

All of this being a few years and releases ago, may no longer be the case and assuming the
reordering of the clear queue tests good with no handshake failures or other side affects,
this fix sounds fine.

- Sudheer

I agree this needs to be tested

> On Sep 26, 2017, at 7:51 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 21, 2017, at 8:55 PM, iloveperl@sina.cn wrote:
>>
>> With the patch, the ERR_clear_error() will only be called when the error occurs.
In the normal situation, ERR_clear_error() will not be called, so the Err_get_state() will
not be called and no lock contention in openssl 1.0.1 with the patch.