From Stephen Washburn <step...@stephenwashburn.com>
Subject Re: Avoiding TCP_REFRESH_HIT
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2017 18:41:39 GMT
Ah… sorry about that.

Stephen

> On Nov 23, 2017, at 10:22, Veiko Kukk <veiko.kukk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> As i wrote in my first post, i've set CONFIG proxy.config.http.cache.when_to_revalidate
INT 3

> Veiko

>> Apologies if I’m missing something, but doesn’t that page say that there is an
option to have it treat freshness as such:

>>> Traffic Server considers all HTTP objects in the cache to be fresh:
>>> Never revalidate HTTP objects in the cache with the origin server.
>>
>> By modifying proxy.config.http.cache.when_to_revalidate
>>
>> https://docs.trafficserver.apache.org/en/7.1.x/admin-guide/files/records.config.en.html#proxy-config-http-cache-when-to-revalidate
>>
>> Stephen
>>
>>> On Nov 23, 2017, at 09:26, Veiko Kukk <veiko.kukk@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Now to think about it, i might have set dest_domain to wrong value. Documentation
is not that clear on that. If there are x.y.z.tld and a.b.z.tld then what have to be written
to dest_domain to capture both of those?
>>> dest_domain=z.tld
>>> or
>>> dest_domain=*.*.z.tld
>>>
>>> Or someting else?
>>>
>>> Veiko

origin for object freshness, it was still considered stale by ATS.

describes that if Expires is present, it is used to calculate objects freshness. And there
is no way to ignore it. I've configured now ATS to remove Expires header and set Cache-control:
max-age=157784630 with header rewrite plugin and cond %{READ_RESPONSE_HDR_HOOK}

cache. Only problem is to trick ATS into believing that object is always fresh, never stale.
removing or changing Expires and/or adding max-age to some very big value might be right way
to go for me.

objects which will never require re-validation?  This will prevent the browser from attempting
an If-Modified-Since request.

in ATS config, but how? I don't have control over source, its Openstack Swift object storage.

that it would never try to revalidate from source? It is known that in our case, object never
changes (and is never refetched from source) and it is desirable to avoid any source validation.
Validation verification adds significant overhead and we need to avoid it. Response to client
with TCP_REFRESH_HIT would take 100-200ms instead of 0-10 in case of direct local TCP_HIT.

explicitly requests revalidation.