From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Kill traffic_cop for ATS v8.0.0
Date Mon, 07 May 2018 15:06:43 GMT

> On May 7, 2018, at 4:04 PM, James Peach <jpeach@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 7, 2018, at 4:28 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I’d like to propose that we kill off traffic_cop for ATS v8.0.0. The consensus
is that there are better system level tools to manage health checks out of band like it does.

> Do you mean a local service manager, or a CDN load balancer check? Can you give an example
of a something that will manage the health checks?

A load balancer, haproxy, nginx, custom tools that your dev team might have developed. I think
the killing of traffic_server that traffic_cop does is a flawed design, which is why we added
the option to turn that off, which is how we run it in prod. If you truly want to do such
a think, writing a shell script that does a “curl” on some URL and then “kill -9”
would not be difficult. :-).

— Leif