From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Memory usage - Virtual Machine - 7.1.x
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2018 16:15:57 GMT

> On Oct 31, 2018, at 10:00 AM, Alan Carroll <solidwallofcode@oath.com> wrote:
>
> Looking at the memory dump, my first guess would be you have a lot of stalled transactions
that never got cleaned up. This is based on the ioBufAllocator[5], which IIRC is the default
size for the initial read. The hdrStrHeap and hdrHeap are used for storing request / response
headers in memory. Those being so large seems to indicate that data isn't getting cleaned
up.

Oh, we should have followed up on this. We worked with Steve for a bit, and tracked it down
to the stale-while-revalidate plugin. Since this plugin is dead now, I don’t think it’s
worthwhile to try to fix it (but, we’ll take patches for 7.1.x if anyone wants to work on
it).

We need a better alternative for stale-while-revalidate, since the plugin has always been
pretty darn crippled :).

Cheers,

— leif