If you mean "Is this possible within the scope of Trafficserver's configuration" then the answer is "not really". Best I can think of is sitting another cache in front of those two as parents and using it to do the failover. But that doesn't make sense because it still brings you back to a single Trafficserver point of failure.

If you mean "Is this possible at all" sure it's possible, but what you're talking about is a Content Delivery System that routes users to caches based on the health of the cache servers. So whatever you build would be re-inventing Traffic Control.

From: Vasanth Mathivanan <vasanth.m@evolutiondigital.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:30 AM
To: users@trafficserver.apache.org
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Failover Scenario in Trafficserver

if we use the  domain to points at   two traffic server ips while it makes every request round robin algorithm , so load goes to both end . our scenario is first server and second server are alive to all requests  goes to first server  if marked down first one then need every requests goes to second server . Any possible  using  only traffic server  without load balancer , router and TC ?

_ Vasanth

  Sent from Mail for Windows 10