From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] YAML migration for 9.0.0
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2019 18:26:55 GMT
Hi all,

As we’re making more progress migrating towards YAML configurations, I’d like to make
two proposals for v9.0.0:

1) As we migrate a configuration to the new YAML format, we only support YAML. I.e. no backwards
compatibility layers.  Of course, we only break such compatibility in major versions, which
is also why we want to get as much of this in before 9.0.0 as possible.

2) We remove the following configurations from records.config, and only support the default
config files names (e.g. ip_allow.yaml).

	proxy.config.cache.storage_filename
	proxy.config.cache.control.filename
	proxy.config.cache.ip_allow.filename
	proxy.config.cache.hosting_filename
	proxy.config.cache.volume_filename
	proxy.config.dns.splitdns.filename
	proxy.config.log.config.filename
	proxy.config.url_remap.filename

Some justifications:

For 1;  We will name the new configs .yaml, e.g. ip_allow.yaml, which allows everyone to keep
the old .config file (e.g. ip_allow.config), such that you can downgrade the ATS binaries,
and keep the configuration tree.

For 1; A big reason for the migration to the new YAML is that we can add new features here
in a much more reasonable way. Trying to maintain both the old and the new configuration formats
puts an unreasonable burden on development. It also makes for a less friendly UX IMO, where
if you stick to the old version of the configurations, you won’t be able to use the same
features as if you pick the YAML format.

For 2: These configurations were just kinda useless to begin with, and with YAML, and the
organization of YAML configs into name spaces, we can move towards a single configuration
file / format approach (with #include and config.d/  directories). These old configurations
do not play well with this goal.

If there are concerns about any of these, please voice them here. I imagine the most controversial
is 1) above, so if you feel strongly here, be prepared to back this with valid arguments,
and development resources :-).

Cheers,

— Leif