From Jan Schaumann <jscha...@netmeister.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Move from the IRC to Slack
Date Sun, 12 May 2019 15:23:36 GMT
Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> You think it?s a serious burden to send an email to
> e.g. users@ or dev@ and ask for an invite?

For people who are part of the community already, this
isn't an issue, but I do believe that this raises the
barrier to entry for newcomers.  As a data point, _I_
wouldn't bother requesting an invite.  Not that I am
anything but a very, very sleepy lurker here, but I
suppose that's my point - I won't get more engaged if
I have to sign up for anything.

For many open source projects, if I can't quickly get
in touch with developers without having to sign up for
anything, I'll simply not reach out, won't report
issues nor participate in the community.

-Jan, going back to sleepy lurker mode in 3... 2... 1...