From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Move from the IRC to Slack
Date Sun, 12 May 2019 15:49:20 GMT

> On May 12, 2019, at 09:23, Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org> wrote:
>
> Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> You think it?s a serious burden to send an email to
>> e.g. users@ or dev@ and ask for an invite?
>
> For people who are part of the community already, this
> isn't an issue, but I do believe that this raises the
> barrier to entry for newcomers.  As a data point, _I_
> wouldn't bother requesting an invite.  Not that I am
> anything but a very, very sleepy lurker here, but I
> suppose that's my point - I won't get more engaged if
> I have to sign up for anything.
>
> For many open source projects, if I can't quickly get
> in touch with developers without having to sign up for
> anything, I'll simply not reach out, won't report
> issues nor participate in the community.

Well, you still have to register to be on the mailing lists or on Github to file issues. Again,
this has not changed. Maybe people got an impression that IRC is/was the official channel
for community and developer interaction, or filing issues? If so, I’m sorry if we mislead
everyone, but that was never the case, and will never be the case with Slack either. Moving
to the official ASF slack workspace, as proposed by Bryan, seemed like the obvious thing to
do,  being supported by the ASF and the infra team.

We have the option to not use IRC or Slack if that’s preferable, and make it clear that
Github Issues/PRs and mailing list are the official communication channels. I’m ok with
that as well.

Cheers,

— Leif