From Jason Giedymin <jason.giedy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Move from the IRC to Slack
Date Sun, 12 May 2019 14:40:43 GMT
I like slack, but don’t like that I’d not be able to see past history unless:
  - it’s a continuous asf paid account
  - login to slack
  - write a bot to archive (guess that isn’t so bad)
  - in the event asf moved away from slack in the future or goes defunct or gets bought out,
what to do with past data

So to sum: Id like the data open and free to search (via google even) - but I do use slack
for many foss groups

We could offer slack as an avenue but make note that any real questions that require a more
thorough response be initiated via mail list or by issue tracker. I.e non supported com channel
but it’s there

-Jason

> On May 12, 2019, at 10:18 AM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 11, 2019, at 23:35, James Peach <jamespeach@me.com.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>> On May 12, 2019, at 3:32 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Note that this is the ASF workspace, not just ATS. Automating account creations
here seems like a bad idea, but I guess you can run it by the ASF infra ops. My guess would
be that they say no :-).

>> So users won’t be able to join and participate unless they have some out of band
way to ask for an invite? If that’s the case, I don’t think this is a good idea.

> You think it’s a serious burden to send an email to e.g. users@ or dev@ and ask for
an invite? Doesn’t seems a whole lot more burdensome than going to a website that you must
find.

> — Leif
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> — Leif

invites. We should do that here as well.

communication by June 1st.  This is in response to ASF moving to Slack for Infra and other
channels and spamming that has happened on the IRC over the last year.

to be invited.  We would keep the IRC channel open after the migration to notify people of
the Slack channel.