From Jason Yang <peter.waynech...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Default TS behavior when disk write speed are too slow
Date Fri, 10 May 2019 20:35:18 GMT
Anyone has idea about this? (how large is the write buffer and how we can change it).

Jason

On Apr 29, 2019, 13:46 -0400, Zelkowitz, Evan <Evan_Zelkowitz@comcast.com>, wrote:
> Is there any way to tune the write buffer size? Or know where that exists?
>
> From: John Plevyak <jplevyak@gmail.com>
> Date: Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 8:14 PM
> To: "users@trafficserver.apache.org" <users@trafficserver.apache.org>
> Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Default TS behavior when disk write speed are too slow
>

> Correct. ATS allows limits the outstanding async writes and then when the write buffer
fills it stops enquing the data and the objects are not saved to disk. This is independent
of the number of clients.

> On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 3:04 PM Jason Yang <peter.waynechina@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thank you, John!
> > Just to confirm my understanding is correct, ATS will proxy the requests without
writing this request to disk when disk write speed cannot catch up, is that right?

> > I am running a simulation/emulation using ATS, for the warming up period, if my
fake clients send requests too fast, it is possible that the objects might be not saved to
disks, right? And this is also true even if I have only one client because the write process
is asynchronous, right?

> > Jason
> >
> > On Apr 28, 2019, 17:53 -0400, John Plevyak <jplevyak@gmail.com>, wrote:
> >

> > > ATS does not delay a request if it can't write down the data.  Instead it
will simply proxy the request without writing it down if the write buffer becomes full because
of a slow disk.

too slow, will it slow down each request? Can ATS still serve requests without storing to
disk?
is really slow and the miss ratio can be super high (meaning a large number of objects need
to be written to a slow disk).