From Veiko Kukk <veiko.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Understanding _total_response_bytes statistics
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2020 11:48:35 GMT
Hi,

ATS 7.1.2, parent routing enabled. Everything goes through parent
except one test url request that has very small response size (20
bytes).

To calculate ATS cache byte hit ratio, I'm using following metrics:
"proxy.node.http.user_agent_total_response_bytes": "363046018479",
"proxy.node.http.origin_server_total_response_bytes": "359470059035",
"proxy.node.http.parent_proxy_total_response_bytes": "356244228124",

I wonder how is it possible that (parent_proxy_total_response_bytes +
origin_server_total_response_bytes) is bigger than
user_agent_total_response_bytes? Everything going to user agent
(client) must come from either local cache or from parent or from
origin. This looks like stats bug to me. Maybe even fixed in some
newer ATS version?

According to my understanding, only those responses coming directly
from origin should be included in
proxy.node.http.origin_server_total_response_bytes and only responses
coming from parent should be included in
proxy.node.http.parent_proxy_total_response_bytes.

Best regards,
Veiko