trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Gunnar Tapper <gunnar.tap...@esgyn.com>
Subject Fwd: Disk space usage
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2015 16:27:07 GMT
Hi Folks,

Please see the below questions from Layla regarding disk-space usage.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks,

Gunnar

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Martin, Layla (HP DualStudy) <layla.martin@hp.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 2:08 AM
Subject: Disk space usage
To: "gunnar.tapper@esgyn.com" <gunnar.tapper@esgyn.com>

 Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for offering help!

I ran a few tests this morning regarding the disk space consumption of
Trafodion. My results are rather surprising:

Used disk space grows whenever I create a table (as expected)

Used disk space (usually) grows whenever I insert new data sets (stumbling:
in one occurrence, the used disk space actually got less)

Used disk space grows whenever I delete data sets (unlike I expected, but
this is ok, as HBase just outdates the datasets instead of truly deleting
them)

(It even grows when I now run a major compaction using the HBase Shell)

Used disk space grows even further, if I now drop this table (this is
surprising to me, as HBase should be able to delete all HFiles related to
this table)

This really becomes troubling, as my disk was 100% full twice (causing
trouble …). Obviously, not even a garbage collection process running later
is able to permanently delete this from disk.

A colleague of mine here in the EPC suggested that it could be disk space
allocated to Trafodion but not really used. I searched the Trafodion SQL
Reference Handbook, but didn’t find a query to return the disk space
comsumption of the Trafodion data. My colleague Rebecca suggested something
similar to

SELECT TABLESPACE_NAME, SUM(BYTES)/1024/1024/1024 "FREE SPACE(GB)"

FROM DBA_FREE_SPACE GROUP BY TABLESPACE_NAME;

(I’ve checked the disk space consumption using the df . command in the
Linux shell)

Thank you very much in advance

Layla

*Layla Martin*

HP DualStudy

Hewlett-Packard GmbH

Telefon +49 7031 4504682

*layla.martin@hp.com <layla.martin@hp.com>*

Herrenberger Strasse 140| 71034 Böblingen| www.hp.com/de/dualstudy

[image: Description: Description:
http://intranet.hp.com/country/germany/live/PublishingImages/NeuesLogoSmall.png]

Follow us on: [image: facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/DualStudy.hp> [image:
twitter] <http://twitter.com/hpdualstudy> [image: youtube]
<http://www.youtube.com/user/hpDualStudy>

Geschäftsführer: Heiko Meyer (Vorsitzender), Thomas Bässler, Volkhard
Bregulla, Michael Eberhardt, Jochen Erlach, Angelika Gifford, Ernst Reichart
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Jörg Menno Harms
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen, Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 244081
WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 30409072

--
Thank you,

Gunnar Tapper