trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Devaraj Das <d...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: FW: [VOTE] Apache Trafodion release 1.3.0 ready for release - release candidate 5
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2015 21:43:06 GMT
Roberta, seems okay to me to not change ulexer's header then. I haven't done a thorough check
but I'd leave it to you to figure out if you made any "major" change to any BSD/MIT licensed
source file or not.

I was going through NOTICE here https://github.com/apache/phoenix/blob/master/NOTICE and I
checked HBase's NOTICE file as well... I​​ do see that they reference projects that are
being used internally (for e.g., junit). Not sure if it is mandatory or not but wanted to
bring it to the notice of everyone anyway..

________________________________
From: Roberta Marton <roberta.marton@esgyn.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 11:57 AM
To: stack; Devaraj Das
Cc: ddas@apache.org; Enis Söztutar; larsh@apache.org
Subject: RE: FW: [VOTE] Apache Trafodion release 1.3.0 ready for release - release candidate
5

Having a lawyer that actually understands Apache open source licensing rules would be great!
 Do they exist?

In answer to Devaraj,
We created a script that added apache headers to files that were missing headers.  Sometimes
the script got over zealous and added a second header.  I did a scan looking for these files
but I may have missed some.

Files like ulexer.h already had a copyright so we did not add an Apache copyright.  I assumed
the BSD code was 3rd party and should not have an Apache header included.   I base this on
(http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.htm)”:
TREATMENT OF THIRD-PARTY WORKS

  1.  The term "third-party work" refers to a work not submitted directly to the ASF by the
copyright owner or owner's agent.
  2.  Do not modify or remove any copyright notices or licenses within third-party works.
  3.  Do ensure that every third-party work includes its associated license, even if that
requires adding a copy of the license from the third-party download site into the distribution.
  4.  Do not add the standard Apache License header to the top of third-party source files.
  5.  Minor modifications/additions to third-party source files should typically be licensed
under the same terms as the rest of the rest of the third-party source for convenience.
  6.  Major modifications/additions to third-party should be dealt with on a case-by-case
basis by the PMC.
That said, we did change ulexer.h.

     Roberta