trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Carol Pearson <carol.pearson...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Trafodion release 1.3.0 ready for release - release candidate 5
Date Sun, 27 Dec 2015 00:36:34 GMT
Hi,

Thank you for the incredibly valuable (if at times furstrating) effort! I
totally agree with this - we really need to work on improving the
build+install experience.  And your experiences, with a fresh set of eyes
helps tremendously. We also need to surface more of this discussion on our
user list since that's where our new users will look first.

Gunnar's already done a lot of good stuff with the website, and we
definitely need to focus even more on the documentation, examples, initial
test databases, and clarifying/cleaning the installation instructions. We
need to make it easy for new users to try out Trafodion, including
installing and basic demoing/testing, as well as building for folks looking
to contribute in that way.

As a mentor, your +1 carries a lot of weight.    We all know we need the
non-vendor vanilla version for a real, usable release, but as a podling, we
need to get the release mechanics and licensing cleared up first.  Do you
think that the IPMC vote will be hampered by a lack of support for Apache
Hadoop and HBase if it's just seen as a practice-and-clean--up-licenses
release?  No guarantees, of course, just wondering about your take on the
likelihood...

Thank you again for all the help!
-Carol P.

Email:    carol.pearson234@gmail.com