trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Birdsall <dave.birds...@esgyn.com>
Subject Raise error when UPDATE STATS is done on a really big table?
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2016 16:37:55 GMT
Hi,

Just want to make you aware of the following JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRAFODION-1775.

In that JIRA, I propose making it an error to do UPDATE STATISTICS on a
really big table without using sampling. The reason being that it can take
a very long time in this case and is usually not intended. I will provide a
syntax that can override the error.

If you think this is a bad idea, or you think of better approaches, please
comment in the JIRA. If you think it is a great idea, you can make that
comment too, but I will consider silence as consent.

Thanks,

Dave