trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Roberta Marton <roberta.mar...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: Apache Trafodion release - release manager
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2016 22:14:01 GMT
Changing headline to append '- release manager' to keep it separate from the
version  numbering discussion.

Thanks Steve for volunteering to be the release manager -:)

To answer Dave's question - according to
(http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html ) which describes release
management for a TLP project:

WHO MANAGES THE RELEASE PROCESS?
The common practice at Apache is for a single individual to take
responsibility for the mechanics of a release. That individual is called the
'release manager.' Release managers take care of shepherding a release from
an initial community consensus to make it to final distribution.

Release managers do the work of pushing out releases. However, release
managers are not ultimately responsible. The PMC in general, and the PMC
chair in particular (as an officer of the Foundation) is responsible for
compliance with requirements.

Any committer may serve as the manager of a release.

A release starts when the project community agrees to make a release.
However, no release manager can make a valid release unless the community
has taken the necessary steps to prepare in advance. The source code and
build process must comply with the legal and intellectual property
requirements for a valid release, and the project must have the
infrastructure in place to correctly sign the release artifacts.

Therefore there does not seem to be a formal process for electing a release
manager.

   Regards,
   Roberta