trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Zeller <hans.zel...@esgyn.com>
Subject Re: New Version of Contributor Guide Uploaded
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2016 22:41:54 GMT
Hi Gunnar,

Looks really nice overall! Here are a few comments:

   - 4.3.3 "Create Pull Request": This shows "git pull-request" to create a
   pull request. It should also mention that you can do this on the web by
   going to https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafodion and pressing the
   green "create pull request" button. Probably a nicer method that allows to
   review the changes one more time before creating the pull request.
   - 4.3.3 "Address Review Comments": Would be good to add a warning not to
   use git commit --amend. Also, you could note that pushing the new commit is
   enough, it will be added automatically to the pull request.
   - 5.4: Should make it clear that one should do only one of 5.4.1 or
   5.4.2, they are alternatives.
   - 5.4.1 "Git": This duplicates some of the information in 4.3.3, should
   it just reference it instead?
   - 6.1.1 "Git": This again duplicates 4.3.3, I don't think people will
   want to read it a third time. 6.4.2 duplicates 5.4.2.
   - 6.3 second info block on page 29: I would add two suggestions:
   Whenever a build finishes, always check the return code of make with this
   command: "echo $?". The make output may show "BUILD SUCCEEDED", yet it may
   have failed. If the build fails and you can't easily find the reason, rerun
   the make command with the "-j 1" option, a non-parallel build will show the
   error more clearly.
   - 7.2.2, step 4: This also needs the "sqgen" step, in a new shell, and
   then sqstart again in a new shell. sqgen is mentioned in section 8, but
   people probably won't check there when they do this the first time.

My one concern about this type of documentation is that it is wonderful
when new, but because it is not really easy to maintain and update, it will
get stale. A wiki is so much easier to change and may stay a bit fresher as
a result. So, I think by publishing this document you have also volunteered
to keep updating it until you have found another volunteer to take over
this task.

Thanks,

Hans