trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Owhadi <eric.owh...@esgyn.com>
Subject idea for performance improvement with alignFormat
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 15:56:37 GMT
Good morning Trafodioneers,

Align format is great from a storage, write and “sometime” read performance.

The “sometime”, is what I think we could address.

In alignFormat, if you do a select *, then yes, the performance will be
better than regular format.

But if you do a select a, on a wide row with many columns, alignFormat will
bring back the full set of columns, like if it was a select *, when regular
format would cherry pick.

We could implement an HBase custom filter, using the transformCell() step
to create a returned row in a new custom format (like aligned format but
with only the requested columns), aware of alignFormat, that will pick
inside an AlignFormat cell, only the column values requested.

Here is the description of transformCell step of the Custom Filter
framework.

transformCell() :

Once the cell has passed the check and is available, the transform call
allows the filter to modify the cell, before it is added to the resulting
row.

Thought?

Eric