trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Birdsall <dave.birds...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSSION] Time to graduate
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 19:36:54 GMT
Hi all,

Release 2.0.0 is in planning, and part of it will be running on vanilla
Apache. So I think those two items will be covered soon.

Community is growing albeit slowly. Carol will have some data there.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: saint.ack@gmail.com [mailto:saint.ack@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Stack
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 11:55 AM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Time to graduate

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Pierre Smits <pierre.smits@gmail.com>
wrote:

> To address the list:
>
> Regarding the community:
> You can establish a sense of our community growth in our reports to
> the board, the only indicators regarding 'users'/contributors we have
> is the increase of subscribers to the mailing lists and potentially
> the followers of the social media accounts (Twitter, etc.). With
> respect to the growth of privileged contributors see the reports also.
> FWiW, I am one.

Would be sweet if there were more yous, contributors/participants rather
than subscribers to lists. Will wait on Carol's report.

> Re: release
> We have released our source code under the Apache flag; it is
> Trafodion 1.3.0. There is no obligation to release a distribution that
> runs only against Apache 'bits'. Any distribution made available is
> convenience. A distribution with Apache only elements (Hadoop, HBase,
> Zookeeper, Ambari,
> etc) would surely be a nice-to-have, and also a means to show
> cross-selling Apache products that could lead to cross-pollination
> (adoption and community growth wise).
>
> Yes, we've fulfilled the letter of the law in that we've made an
> Apache
release. Would be healthy if another one at least was done while inside
incubator just to show 1.3.0 was not a 'fluke' (smile). We found some good
stuff getting 1.3.0 out the door. Another round wouldn't hurt I'd say (IMO).

And this also, this is just my opinion, but if this is to be an Apache TLP,
I'd think it behooves that it is possible to run on Apache releases w/o need
of a vendor intermediary. Being able to do this will also help get T*
distributed wider afield.

St.Ack