trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From "Anoop Sharma" <anoop.sha...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: align format and serialization
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2016 16:26:46 GMT
It will be better to encode(serialize) the data, if needed, at the point where it is to be
compared
during pushdown. You will need to know the datatype and can call or use the code
in encode function in exp_function.cpp. For simple types, encoding is straightforward.

If not, data will have to be serialized during aligned row creation and deserialized after
that. It would need some work to handle that properly.

anoop

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Owhadi [mailto:eric.owhadi@esgyn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:01 AM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: align format and serialization

Hi Trafodioneers,

Investigating align format pushdown, I found that even if you ask to create columns serialized,
in align format, the statement is ignored and forced to non serialized.

I am assuming this is because we don’t support pushdown yet, so the code is smart enough
to see that user is not using the serialized keyword appropriately.

If we implement pushdown with align format, can we store data serialized inside align format?
Or there are some things that will have problems?

Eric