trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 答复: In sqlci: how to show column names and associated data types?
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2016 06:57:21 GMT
Hi all, Rohit,

I believe we should have a plan for upcoming and future release, and opt
for the low hanging fruit for upcoming release. This means that we should
look at:

   1. what do others provide/use
   2. (more importantly) what does our main competitor/use

to get such data/information from indexes, tables, views, etc.

On-boarding that in our solution will make it easier for (potential)
adopters to migrate to the Trafodion - HBase solution stack.

Having done only a cursory on what (some of) the others (MSSQL, MySQL,
ORACLE, PostgresQL) use, I found that all use a complex methodology to get
to the details. But most (MSSQL, MySQ, ORACLE) use the SHOW methodology.
Only PostgresQL use the DESCRIBE  methodology.

Therefore I suggest we opt for the SHOW variant to enhance the user
experience.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>