trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From "Atanu Mishra" <atanumis...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Apache OpenOffice instead of AsciiDoctor
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2016 16:52:24 GMT
Hi Gunnar,

All for making things simpler. Which this should.

I assume this means moving away from the asciidoc format. Will there be a (big) migration
effort?

Thanks,
Atanu

-----Original Message-----
From: Gunnar Tapper [mailto:tapper.gunnar@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2016 9:41 AM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Apache OpenOffice instead of AsciiDoctor

Hi,

As you may have seen and/or experienced, it's not easy to work on our
documentation since you have to setup the build environment, run maven
builds, etc. And don't get me started on how clumsy it is to update
documentation.

I propose that we rethink the whole Asciidoctor approach and move to Apache
OpenOffice instead, which is, of course, open source with a real word
processor. IMO, the use of Asciidoctor creates a huge barrier to
documentation creation. It is very, very cumbersome.

In this model, we'd check in the OpenOffice source into the source tree.
The publication would be a little more manual in that you'd have to
generate the web pages and PDF files from within OpenOffice but I think
that's an OK tradeoff. And, we can probably figure out a way to script such
actions down the line.

Thoughts?

--
Thanks,