trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Broeder <sean.broe...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: Proposal to add hive regression tests to check-PR tests
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2016 16:29:40 GMT
I'd prefer not to leave it up to authors to select which tests are
appropriate.  Sometimes we get it right and others we are horribly wrong.

Thanks,
Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Qifan Chen [mailto:qifan.chen@esgyn.com]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2016 9:20 AM
To: dev <dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to add hive regression tests to check-PR tests

I agree with Sandhya and wonder if we can enhance check-PR tests (hive for
example, in question) with the following twist.

   1. Randomly select several (say 3) tests from regression/hive. The
   rational is that we only need to  sanity check the changes and a full
daily
   build with test will follow the merge.
   2. Before the check-in, we always run the full regression test, and I do
   not see the value to run full Hive again in check-PR.
   3. In the future, we could find the most appreciate tests for check-PR
   (instead of randomly select, or select the full set).  The author can
point
   out the nature of the change and the check-in tool does the selection.
For
   example, a change in DoP for Hbase tables will select some tests from
   regress/seabase, but not from regress/hive.

Thanks

--Qifan

--
Regards, --Qifan