trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From "Liu, Yu (Yu)" <yu....@esgyn.cn>
Subject RE: Chinese Contributor Access
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2016 10:00:53 GMT
Hi Gunnar,

Appreciate you taking time to provide your details! I will do more research on them.

One question: Why add Chinese directory that corresponds with the English version rather than
create a specific section/place?

In the latter situation, Chinese (large number of users) could locate their desired information
with fastest and fewest clicks, the user experience & user usability will be improved
significantly, consequently it will contribute to the promotion of Apache Trafodion website
as well.

Thanks!
Liu Yu

-----Original Message-----
From: Gunnar Tapper [mailto:tapper.gunnar@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:26 AM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Cc: Dave Birdsall <dave.birdsall@esgyn.com>; Jin, Jian (Seth) <Jian.jin@esgyn.cn>;
Yang, Yang (Felix) <yang.yang@esgyn.cn>
Subject: Re: Chinese Contributor Access

Hi,

It's definitely a good idea to add a set of Chinese-language pages and user guides. Most of
the documentation and web pages are located under the docs/ directory. I propose that we keep
this simple: simply add a [document]_cn directory that corresponds with the English version.
For example, docs/sql_reference and docs/sql_reference_cn. The documents are written in asciidoctor
so I think we'll be OK there. The current PDF tool will not do good so we'll probably need
to change to asciidoctor-fopub. See http://programfan.github.io/contents/2015/04/20/convert-chinese-asciidoc-to-pdf/

The website uses markdown. From what I can see, this should work. There's even a guide: http://markdown.tw/
Here, I propose that the differnet web pages are complimented with a _cn counterpart. See
src/site/markdown/. We may have to do some css work, which I view as a good thing since the
current css definitions are really hacks.

I hope this helps,

Gunnar

--
Thanks,