trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From "Liu, Ming (Ming)" <ming....@esgyn.cn>
Subject RE: Working towards graduation
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2016 10:39:09 GMT
New contributor need time to get started, Trafodion is a very complex system software.
So it will be helpful to have some JIRAs that are simple enough for beginners to work on.
Documentation is also a very good starting point.

I notice the JIRA can has label as 'newbie', I just create JIRA 2133 as an example. It will
be something simple enough for new contributor to get started I hope.

I know some people not from current contribution groups already singed the iCLA document and
want to contribute to Trafodion. So I assume once they deliver code commit or wiki update,
they will be considered as 'contributor' ?

Thanks,
Ming

-----Original Message-----
From: Pierre Smits [mailto:pierre.smits@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 3:40 PM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Working towards graduation

Hi all,

With 2 releases out since the start under the flag of ASF Incubation, we are on the right
track building our experience regarding release management in relation to compliance to the
ASF rules and guidelines.

I suggest we now - while not forgetting to work on improving our code base for future releases
- start working on the community aspect of the project.
According to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Contributors (per
27-07-2016) we have a healthy number of contributors.

Yet diversity is a bit low. The subset of contributors with the PPMC flags shows following
affiliation:

   - Esgyn: 9 contributors
   - Hewlett Packard: 3 contributors

We need to work on getting more diversity in that subset. Otherwise - I feel - the IPMC will
have issues with our graduation.

Any ideas how to achieve that diversity?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services