trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Varnau <steve.var...@esgyn.com>
Subject RE: Squash commits
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2016 16:29:12 GMT
I don't think there is a guaranteed way in git.  It relies on the committer
putting the right info in the commit message.
I think the most important thing is the JIRA ID.

The message might also contain the commit IDs of the squashed branch
commits, but that is harder to recognize, though a search in the log may
find it.

Also if the committer puts in the magic phrase that causes the Apache
automation to close the PR, then the JIRA may also get updated.
Again, relying on care taken by the committer.  I'm not a big fan of
squashed commits because all of this. But it is matter of preference, and
they definitely are useful in certain cases.

Developers & committers, please, please put the JIRA ID in brackets at the
beginning of the line in the PR title and in the merged commit message. And
also at least a couple words that describe the change.  "fix for JIRA 20112"
does not help me a whole lot.
"[TRAFODION-20112] compiler NULL fix"  is not real specific, but gives a
clue and makes sure that the JIRA gets updated with the right PR and commit
info!

Reviewers, please remind developers to update the PR title to the right
format. I see Selva asked someone today. Gold star.

--Steve