trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From "Jin, Jian (Seth)" <Jian....@esgyn.cn>
Subject Re: Encourage Community
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2016 23:09:05 GMT
+1.
Actually the Chinese users are active in a QQ Group, that is instant message software, as
I know some of them are not good at English, so it is good idea that our community can answer
questions in different languages. The same to the rest of world.

Br,

Seth

Sent from mobile device, pls excuse any typo.

在 2016年11月12日,上午4:54,Eric Owhadi <eric.owhadi@esgyn.com> 写道:

+1, good idea

-----Original Message-----
From: Gunnar Tapper [mailto:tapper.gunnar@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 2:39 PM
To: dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Encourage Community

Hi,

You might have noticed that there's a link to the "Geode/Trafodion Elite Group" on QQ on the
web page. This is to help Chinese speakers engage in Chinese when not comfortable with communicating
in English.

I started a discussion on the incubator list on this topic, which quickly included the members
list, too. Talk about going big.

As you know, the Apache mantra is "everything happens on the mail lists."
That's no longer true but I still think that we need to encourage it.

As a first step, I propose that we encourage people to ask questions in their native language
on the mailing lists (especially user) making it clear that the Trafodion community has no
problem with that since we use a Translator to understand the question. I further propose
that we do respond in English as much as possible relying on the recipient to use a Translator,
too.

If you agree on with this, then I'd like to add a new section to the main page that describes
the above in different languages. We'll provide as many languages as we can even if 99.99%
will be OK with English if living in; for example, Sweden. It's more about the message...

A starting point for word smithing and later translation (I can do the translation to Swedish,
I'm sure Hans can handle, Ming can do Chinese and so on.)

"You can communicate with the Trafodion community even if you are uncomfortable with English.
Just send an e-mail in your preferred language to user@trafodion.apache.org. As a community,
we use translation software to help remove language barriers. Most often, we respond in English
so that you can use translation software, too."

We might also provide a page that provides language-specific instructions on how to join and
leave our mailing lists.

Thoughts?

--
Thanks,