trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Gunnar Tapper <tapper.gun...@gmail.com>
Subject Encourage Community
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2016 20:39:21 GMT
Hi,

You might have noticed that there's a link to the "Geode/Trafodion Elite
Group" on QQ on the web page. This is to help Chinese speakers engage in
Chinese when not comfortable with communicating in English.

I started a discussion on the incubator list on this topic, which quickly
included the members list, too. Talk about going big.

As you know, the Apache mantra is "everything happens on the mail lists."
That's no longer true but I still think that we need to encourage it.

As a first step, I propose that we encourage people to ask questions in
their native language on the mailing lists (especially user) making it
clear that the Trafodion community has no problem with that since we use a
Translator to understand the question. I further propose that we do respond
in English as much as possible relying on the recipient to use a
Translator, too.

If you agree on with this, then I'd like to add a new section to the main
page that describes the above in different languages. We'll provide as many
languages as we can even if 99.99% will be OK with English if living in;
for example, Sweden. It's more about the message...

A starting point for word smithing and later translation (I can do the
translation to Swedish, I'm sure Hans can handle, Ming can do Chinese and
so on.)

"You can communicate with the Trafodion community even if you are
uncomfortable with English. Just send an e-mail in your preferred language
to user@trafodion.apache.org. As a community, we use translation software
to help remove language barriers. Most often, we respond in English so that
you can use translation software, too."

We might also provide a page that provides language-specific instructions
on how to join and leave our mailing lists.

Thoughts?

--
Thanks,

Gunnar